Saturday, November 13, 2010

Reflection of Project presentation

I have not done any presentation for quite a while already since most engineering modules do not require the presentation in the module scope. Thus the project presentation of ES2007S becomes a precious opportunity for practicing all the skills and key points we have picked up from this course.

To recall the presentation on this Tuesday, I could point out something I could pay attention to in the future practice.

Firstly, I experienced some blank out moments in my brain when the words came out from my mouth did not match with what I have prepared. Just this little deviation would put me in a state of panic since all the tone, feeling and pace were disturbed. I could identify these moments when I came to a pause or talked about some ill-grammar sentences. In addition, I tended to turn to the screen even though it did not help when I was stuck.

Secondly, I feel my pace is a little fast. I could justify it as my style of articulating but the problem lying in this would be the words were mumbled in my mouth which affected the clearness of my speech. However, when I tried to slow down, I tended to forget what I was going to say. It seems the pace of speeching pulls down the processing speed of my brain as well. As a result, I would try to pour all the stuffs in my brain out before they are totally gone.

Thirdly, I found that I lacked a tempo in my presentation in terms of pause, emphasis and tone. This is a advanced requirement of presentation which is associated with the personality and speech style of individual. A good tempo could bring audience enjoyment and easier capture of the presentation content. I hope to improve on this which is also a way to build personal charms.

Last, I am not a good story teller. My story or example used in presentation seemed more like a fact statement. If a story could not be told in the story-telling way which attracts the audience and offer them the surprise, the effect of telling a story would be downplayed. It is not easy to be a good story-teller. Maybe I should start from telling fairy tales.

That is what I think I can do better in future presentation. I would thank again my teammates, Pavi, Yong feng and Forest for their diligence and all the efforts put in this project and presentation. The whole project is really an enjoyable process and I appreciate their genius and mutual help to achieve such a good outcome. Thanks for other classmates being at our presentation and shooting us with all the brilliant and challenging questions.

It is an amazing presentation and so are the people.

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Neil

    Here is my record about your presentation.

    -Strong starting
    -Persuasive video, but the music felt strange and was too loud
    -Very fluent
    -Good transition to the next person
    -Looked confident
    -Good eye contact and proper gestures
    -Spoke too fast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil,

    I can tell that you are a bit nervous during that presentation. Your articulation of speech can still be improved, and your must try to adjust the speed of your tone better as I find it too slow and hard to pay attention to it. Nice try though, and I believe you can still improve in your communication skills in the future.

    Don't give up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have finally written your reflection. Haha.

    Actually, I thought you did well. The way you articulate is a little close to mumbling, but I wouldn't call it mumbling because I can still make out what you are trying to say.

    Regarding the pace, I find it a little on the fast side but it's still fine actually.

    Apparently, none of the comments above talked about your storytelling. It wasn't as dramatic as Edmund's love story, but it brought the point across and that's the objective.

    Don't be too hard on yourself! You could have mentioned some of your strengths too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Neil, for making this important post. Like Yong Feng, I feel that you are a bit too hard on yourself. You and your teammates did a very fine job. Can you improve? Of course! That's why reflecting has so much value. This project was just one more step on the learning journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yah. Agree with Leo. You spoke a bit fast :D maybe because you were nervous as Riyan said. However, I still can catch your points well.

    I like your presentation slides (not really slides, is it?) so much. What did you use, Neil? Brad mentioned it but I did not get the name. Is it a software?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Neil! :D

    In fact, you had shown a lot of strengths in your presentation.
    You looked confident and spoke fluently.
    You spoke clearly.
    The way you told the story had your unique taste which I thought it was a charm.
    You may further improve your presentation skills, but I am here to tell you that you were excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hong: We used Prezi. It's at prezi.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Neil
    Besides all that have been mentioned above, I think if there is one thing that you can improve on to make your presentation much more interesting is that try to have more variation in your tone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To Brad,
    Maybe Yongfeng and I set a high standard for ourselves' performance and I really appreciate this learning step. I believe it give me a chance to try something experimental in this module which lay the foundation for future presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To nan,
    compared to your group's presentation, our presentation really lacks variation in your definition. I think it should be matching with the target audience but I agree I should try something bolder in this module. Otherwise I really do not have the chance to take as experiment for presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To Yongfeng,
    I know I am doing quite fast and it happens for most of my presentation that I feel like dump all the information in my head out. I like your pace and it is clear with a good tempo. Thank you for your efforts in this one and we are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Long,
    Thanks for your recording, and for most positive feedbacks. It seems that the fast speaking is still a drawback for me.

    ReplyDelete